Disclaimer

Disclaimer: This blog is a way of expressing my personal opinions thoughts and anecdotes, as well as my personal understanding of the scriptures, and conference addresses. It is not meant as a statement of doctrine, and may not necessarily reflect the views, thoughts, or doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

08 January 2014

Autobiography anyone? or "If Lightning Mcqueen wrote a biography, would it be an auto autobiography?"

Hey there.

So, last week I decided to start an MBA program to take that next step in education. I have thought about different steps that I need to take in my chosen career path, and ultimately decided that this is the right place for me to be right now. I found a great online program in Walden University that specializes in Corporate Finance and I am up and running in my first class that started this past Monday.
As some of you may know, I enjoy biographies, autobiographies, and journal-writing. Some fun exercises that Universities use employ this process as well to promote positive thinking, empowerment, and goal-setting.

In my BBA program, we were assigned to write our obituary, which some would say is rather macabre. I found it interesting, as it allows setting long-term goals and objectives, as well as finding out what is of most long-term worth. The first assignment in my MBA program gave a much shorter time-frame: What would I say at my graduation speech, and what value or skill best gave me the time management needed to complete my MBA.

My response is listed below ( 3 Paragraphs):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



As I speak before all of you today, I stand more humbly, more empowered and more prepared than I have ever felt before.

My name is Orion Trunk. I have lived in Jacksonville, Florida, for over ten years, and about two hours south of there in Satsuma, Florida, for the past 20 years before that. I come from a small town that contains a small amount of the knowledge of the world, but with parents who were able to instill in me the value of Work and Education. I consider those two concepts as one value because one that lacks the other is practically obsolete, and contains a severe handicap. I now know that these concepts gave me the ability to manage my time more efficiently which allowed me to be successful in my career and in obtaining my MBA from Walden University. Growing up, I didn’t know what I wanted to become, and the town I lived in didn’t offer many options. I obtained education as much as possible, graduating from a private, home-based private school at the top of my class, while working at minimum wage jobs and the family business when possible. I went to a community college for an A.A. degree in general education, also while working, and briefly interrupted by a two year mission for my church in northern California. There I worked and gained a greater perspective of the world and peoples around me. I learned, and I learned how to learn. Coming home from that, I worked at fast food companies and at a train reclamation business, learning how to weld.
While there, I came to myself and realized that I wanted to do more. I was instilled with the value of working hard, and learning as much as I could, but had not quite put the two values together yet. I wanted to work, but wanted to be more involved in the decision-making process. I loved to work with people, but wanted to ensure they knew I had an extensive knowledge of the things about which I spoke. I needed education to make my work more effective, and I needed to give my education a place to grow and flourish. I decided to get my bachelors in business at the University of North Florida, but still with no clear direction until a couple of semesters into the program. I recall taking a heavily involved tax class as an elective, unsure of where that would take me. I remember distinctly thinking “I may not know what to expect from this class, but I do know what to expect from myself, and that will make all the difference,” and that has since been a great anchor in my life.
I, ironically, dropped that class after the first day, and decided to attend my first Financial Management class. From there, I was hooked in learning as much as possible about the financial world. I wanted to make decisions in business from the basis of the bottom line. Sunk costs, comparative advantages, and derivates became a part of my understanding and decision making. I loved how the value of Work and Education could come together in formulae and balances and make decisions for Fortune 500 companies and small businesses alike. I graduated with my BBA in Finance, in 2011. From the time I had the revelation in my welding job until that point of my life, I got married, had three amazing children, and went through one of the longest recessions in American history. During that time, I worked, and became more educated. From there until today, I wanted more. I wanted to gain value-added education to strengthen my work experience so that I could provide my family with all of their needs. That has been the guiding force behind my decisions and career. I want to instill in them the same values I have obtained. Walden University has helped me reach that goal. With an MBA in Corporate Finance, dreams have become goals and goals have become reality. They have coalesced with my vision of combining Work and Education, and have helped me reach higher to who I want to become. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I encourage you to complete a similar exercise when you have the time, and let me know what goals/objectives you are attempting to accomplish this year. It does not have to be a major goal; it could just be something that you have been planning to accomplish. Envision what it would be like, what you would do, and where you would be when that is finished. It can bring about some very introspective thoughts, and I would encourage you do continue, as the insights keep coming. 

You are in charge of your own autobiography! What chapters would you add? some parts may seem boring, but look back and see how those parts led you to be who you are today, then make changes as necessary. The gift of remembrance is great that way. Look back over the past two-five years. How has your life changed since then. Has it gotten worse, or better? if it's worse, what changes can you make now to affect the next 2-5? If it has gotten better, show gratitude for all that you have become, and move forward with new, enhanced skills, abilities, or counterparts. We are here to have Joy, and to Act, not be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:25-26). 

Great talking with you! Feel free to share your thoughts and insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment